Sunnie Southern Speaks at Google Cloud Next ’19
Early this year Viable Synergy announced a strategic collaboration with the nine-time Google Cloud Platform Partner of the Year, Onix. Viable Synergy founder and CEO, Sunnie Southern, is leading a dedicated Health and Life Sciences Division. In April, Sunnie presented a “Cloud Talk” at Google’s annual Cloud Conference. Below is a summary and key points from that presentation. A link to Sunnie’s slides can be found here.
Onix Health and Life Sciences Division Enables Organizations to Realize the Power of the Cloud
The cloud is gaining significant traction in the health and life sciences (HLS), and a “one-configuration” model isn’t the answer. HLS organizations need to create a roadmap to the cloud and explore hybrid- or multi-cloud solutions. Innovative organizations are developing cloud strategies that address key stakeholders’ needs and align with business objectives and budgets. Some go further by deriving the most value from their data, including leveraging advanced analytics (AI and ML) to increase business insights, enhance operational processes, and improve patient outcomes, and accelerate research discoveries. HLS industries are seeking ways to effectively adopt and use these technologies.
Those successfully adopting cloud infrastructure and solutions effectively address what Southern calls the “Five Pillars of Successful Cloud Adoption”.
Five Pillars of Successful Cloud Adoption:
- Strategy. Creating a robust well-defined cloud strategy enables organizations to meet business objectives, improve clinical outcomes and accelerate research discoveries Education.
- Educating key decision makers on the value cloud computing involves more than moving data from on-premise to the cloud. Public cloud infrastructure and services offer features and functionality beyond what many on-premise solutions provide.
- Security. Developing/ refining security standard operating procedures and hardening security measures for the cloud supports widespread organizational cloud adoption and the use of crucial data. Appropriate security measures unlock the potential of data in ways like never before.
- Cost Management. Managing costs for cloud infrastructure and services require a new way of budgeting and managing costs. This includes transitioning from capital expenses for on-premise hardware to operational expenses, freeing up resources from managing hardware to leveraging data.
- Talent. Organizations need the right talent from both employed resources and experienced partners. There’s a need for seasoned systems engineers who have deep knowledge of the cloud’s native services and tooling. A DevOps approach also is important for managing configurations and infrastructure and software deployment and integration.
As a longtime Google Cloud Premier Partner, Onix has joined the healthcare cloud revolution by deploying Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and migrating G Suite at hospitals and research labs to foster a better way to work. We’ve helped thousands of customers, including hundreds in health systems, insurance companies, medical device makers, pharmaceutical manufacturers, and health information technology vendors, leverage cloud solutions and cloud infrastructure. Onix also has enabled over 1,000 leading researchers in genomics, research computing, and computational biology to accelerate research discoveries with GCP. Onix’s proprietary billing analytics platform, OnSpend, enables customers to manage the usage, budget and billing processes associated with Google Cloud Platform accounts and projects. It increases cloud efficiency and reduces usage waste, allowing customers to focus on improving healthcare and finding the next cure. Such solutions allow HLS to focus on medicine, research and patient outcomes with a computing environment that’s secure, efficient, productive and collaborative. Once a scary entity in the ecosystem, the cloud is changing the way today’s health and life sciences world works, researches and heals. During this discussion, Sunnie will demonstrate how Onix meets health and life sciences customers where ever they are in their cloud journey and help them to leverage the power of cloud infrastructure and cloud solutions to achieve business objectives, improve clinical outcomes, and accelerate innovation and research discoveries.